1. Does my donation go directly to my sponsored individual or family?
For teacher sponsors: Your monthly gift goes directly toward the teacher’s salary and benefits package.
For child sponsors: In some cases, the child you are sponsoring may receive a direct subsidy to their tuition at the Center in the form of a lower monthly payment ($18 vs. $45). If this is the case, it will be noted in the updates you receive on your sponsored child. Learn more about how these scholarships are awarded below.
2. How will my sponsorship donation be used?
Child sponsors: Your gift will support scholarships for children with economic hardship to attend the Center, two medical check-ups for students each year, social work services, educational materials, and a variety of experiential learning activities, such as yoga classes and field trips.
Family sponsors: Your gift will support psychological attention for children and families, financial literacy classes, family engagement events, and an emergency fund for families in need.
Teacher sponsors: Your gift will support the salary, benefits, and professional development of the lead teacher at the Center.
Women entrepreneur sponsors: Your gift will help cover all of the program costs for the Women’s Empowerment Project, including monthly workshops, mentorship opportunities, retreats, vocational training, and seed capital.
3. Am I the only donor supporting a specific individual or family?
4. Will I always sponsor the same individual or family?
Unfortunately, some of the participants in our projects will inevitably leave for a variety of reasons, including moving outside of the community, changes in family situations, and other unexpected life events. Should a sponsored individual or family no longer be receiving support from Programa Velasco, sponsors will be notified via email and a connection with a new individual or family will be established.
5. How are sponsored individuals and families chosen?
Child scholarship recipients: Children and their families are selected to receive a scholarship (a discounted monthly tuition rate) based on economic need. In order to renew their scholarship for the next year, families must show responsibility on a number of indicators that measure their commitment to and participation in their child’s development.
Lead teacher: The lead teacher is hired under the same contract used for all local staff, will respond to a set of results-based expectations, and will undergo periodic performance reviews.
Women entrepreneurs: Local women with a small business, or an interest in starting their own business, apply to participate in the Women’s Empowerment Program. Before inviting a woman to be a part of the program, Programa Velasco staff review applications, make house visits, and interview women in order to understand their economic need, interest in the program, and commitment to participation.
6. How long am I expected to commit to sponsoring an individual or family?
7. What benefits will I receive at each level of sponsorship?
Depending on your sponsorship level, you are also eligible to receive a variety of thank you gifts:
- $25 level: A thank you gift
- $45 level: A personalized gift
- $75 level: A thank you gift and a personalized gift
- $100 level: A thank you gift, a personalized gift, and a special surprise!
8. How frequently will my sponsored individual or family and I communicate and how does this work?
As a sponsor, you may send cards or letters via regular post or email to Programa Velasco for your sponsored individual, however this is simply an invitation rather than an expectation.
Please send any cards or letters via regular post to:
P.O. Box 601 Downers Grove, IL 60515
We will make sure they are delivered to El Salvador.
Please send any communication via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
9. In what language will the communication occur?
10. How can I take advantage of the opportunity to meet my sponsored individual or family virtually?
11. May I send gifts to my sponsored individual or family?
If you would like to mail a gift, you may send it internationally to Programa Velasco at:
Asociación Nuevo Amanecer de El Salvador, ANADES,
Col. El Triunfo Final
Pasaje Molina #14 Apartado 567
Departamento de San Salvador,
El Salvador, Central America
Another option is to make a monetary contribution to Programa Velasco, and with that amount Programa Velasco can purchase an agreed upon gift in El Salvador for the individual or family. You may also consider having your extra contribution go toward a gift that will benefit a classroom, multiple families, etc.
12. Is it possible for me to visit the individual or family that I sponsor?
13. I would prefer to not make monthly automatic payments. What are my options?
Alternatively, if you would prefer to pay in larger installments, please make your donation on our general donation page and leave us a note in the comment section regarding your sponsorship preference.